Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thursday-Nov 10rd-Thankful

Tomorrow is a holiday.  Today was not.  Today we had school.  I love having my kids home with me all day! Really I do! I do.  They make me laugh, scream and all emotions in between, but they learn and I learn right along with them. When we first started homeschooling, we (mainly me) were very stringent about schedules.  That is how I live my life.  It worked, but I would twitch if the schedule was interrupted. I was spending an inordinate amount of time twitching.
My son, came up with an idea.  My oldest, the one who is like me in scheduling, cleaning and other irritating to those who don't have these traits. He wanted to do the work more independent.  If he got up early, ate and got things done, could he start his History at 6am?
NOOOOoooo! I said.  Then I thought about it, why not?  All four of us brainstormed and now we have a very relaxed atmosphere in the home.
The boys are more in their rooms, except for tests and correcting. 
The testing they do in the living room, and we correct together.  This helps me know what they are doing, and them to see what they got wrong.  Every once in a while I hear a thump, thump.  I know that they are a bit too loose and are wrestling.  I give them a minute or two, count it as PE credits, then go and remind them it is not time to wrestle. Eric loves having his own space too:
This really frees me to work more with the girls.  They really need that time.  They are so easy going, that things have just gone over their heads.  They work Grammar, writing, bible and spelling independent. I teach History and Science, and hover over them in Math!
No matter if I am going down the hall, or outside to hang clothes I have two shadows that follow me:
Boo, is black and Buster is the Yorkie....Buster also likes to clamber up onto my rolling desk, and lay right next to my computer:
Thankful? You bet, for the atmosphere in my home.  I am so thankful for that.  It really does feel good.
~never lose your joy

No comments: