Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

we are getting chickens! tomorrow!

It has been a slow and steady process to get here, but it is here.  When we first made the decision to homeschool, one of the things I wanted to do, was to get chickens. I kinda wanted to do the eggs, incubator, etc...but was petrified!  What to do with the things that come out of the eggs? uhm the chicks?  Lisa, (in the church) her sister has a ton of hens, and she is giving us 4 layers!
A few months back, I was on my way to Wal-Mart, and there on the side of the road was a 6 foot crate kinda looking thing....that in my mind looked like a chicken coop skeleton.  My poor hubby, he took the truck and Eric and they hauled this thing off the side of the road.
Then on the way to a curriculum sale for books, the kids and I noticed a big FREE sign. They had wood, and shopping carts and other fun things!  I once again called Tony...he is getting into it now!! So he went and got what he needed.
The boys got to work, helping, watching and fetching for Dad! Tony was really into it! He found an old stereo cabinet for the nesting box and was excited, cause the circles look so cool!
This is starting to look like a chicken coop!
I love this man, he is exhausted, doing 2 sermons a week, working crazy hours at Target and finds time to laugh at me while making a coop!

See the wheel from the shopping cart?  This makes the coop movable..there is no bottom.  The chickens scratch and eat the grass, then you move it, clean that area..and the bermuda grows back..well that  is the plan.  Our pool from last year, the grass came back...so this is gotta work!

Happy chicken coop building! The chickens (4) Huey, Dewey, Louie and Chewy come tomorrow. Tony did some fixing on the top, and it is ready to go, with hinges and all.  I will have pics of the chickens and the final coop soon!

1 comment:

Pressed Petals said...

i am jealous! we wanted to do chickens but can't in the city. have fun!