Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Update on Owl Pellets-I was wrong.

I was so wrong, and had to go look it up:

Owls, like many other birds, eat their food whole. Since birds do not have teeth, they can't chew their food. Therefore, they use their strong and sharp beaks to rip their prey apart and then swallow large chunks whole. The owl slowly digests its meal by separating the softer materials (such as meat) from the harder material (such as bones). It then regurgitates the harder material along with indigestible items such as feathers and fur in the form of a pellet. This is a picture of an owl pellet. 


A big thank you to Tiffany who set me right in such a nice way, you made me think? Cause well we were wondering how something this size well, came out of the other end.  So it is vomit, not feces, somehow it doesn't make it sound any better.

2 comments:

JDubb said...

...with the exception of the regurgitation process, I have a friend who shall remain nameless (Malcolm) who swallows his food in much the same way. We were at a chinese buffet after church service one day and, suffice it to say - I was captivated by the sheer volume that was being processed without the use of mandibles... but, I digress.

A said...

Those owl pellets are pretty disgusting