Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Good News, our ants are happy, happy, happy!

Last week, on a very hot day, our ants arrived:
Thirty were ordered, but it was hot and well, they were not amused in that little tube.  We already had an ant farm container with this new fun blue stuff.  I did the pouring, and Abby took the pictures. 
 They began running to and fro...it was obvious, that a few of the 30 was dead.  But the live ones were very lively.  We gave them some time to adjust.
 
They are very fun to watch!  
Now a full day went and no tunnels, I was bummed and Eric read the directions.  Ants need directions? We then push 4 holes into the blue stuff and the ants went wild!  I had seen this cool light that went with the ant farm, but it was like $15 and it wasn't happening.  Last week, I ordered Christian Kids do Biology program and the light was on clearance for $3!  I ordered it and I am so glad I did!! It is beyond cool watching the ants now:
 Now with the lights off and the blue on:
Can you see the cool little ant?  Tony is so mesmerized.  The kids come in and look and move on.  Last night Tony stood and watched them connect a tunnel for a good 10-15 minutes, I was lucky enough to get the blow by blow play call of the ants accomplishments!  



4 comments:

ChristusG said...

My daughter got that same ant farm for Christmas last year. It was beyond cool to watch them dig all their tunnels!

Keri Jo said...

We ordered our ants and only 3 were alive.!!! I couldn't believe it. We got our kit at a yard sale and the gel was kind of dried out so we will have to retry the whole thing. I agree that the light looks SO cool.

Karen said...

Way cool ant farm! That sure beats the sand-filled one we had when my older two (now 17 and 15) were little. I'm thinking dd10 might have to get one of those... I came over from a link on WTM :) I've been looking for more blogs featuring older kids---those learning-to-read ones are really cute, but I've done all that!

Karen said...

Way cool ant farm! That sure beats the sand-filled one we had when my older two (now 17 and 15) were little. I'm thinking dd10 might have to get one of those... I came over from a link on WTM :) I've been looking for more blogs featuring older kids---those learning-to-read ones are really cute, but I've done all that!